Individuals wanting to perform a wedding ceremony in the Commonwealth of Virginia must receive authorization through the court, prior to performing the ceremony, pursuant to Virginia Code §20-25. Authorization will be on a one-time basis only. The authorization is only valid for a Virginia-issued marriage license and for a ceremony located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
PETITION TO PERFORM ONE-TIME CIVIL MARRIAGE CEREMONY*
*If PDF is not fillable when opened in browser, please download and use Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat or other PDF program to complete the form before printing.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Must never have been convicted of a felony.
- Must execute a $500.00 bond without surety.
- Must reside in the 27th Judicial Circuit
- Includes Bland, Carroll, Floyd, City of Galax, Giles, Grayson, Montgomery, Pulaski, City of Radford and Wythe
- Form is available in our office for completion and printing. If printing at home, please print each page separately, do not print double-sided.
- Bring a valid photo ID with you.
- There is a $54.00 filing fee payable at the time of filing the petition. We accept cash, checks, money orders and credit cards. All credit card transactions will include a $2.00 surcharge.
*Please note: Court personnel are prohibited by law from giving legal advice.