What do I do if I disagree with the assessed value?
A property owner has the right to appeal their property tax assessment. The burden of proof, however, will be on the taxpayer to prove why their assessment should change. Just saying: "My taxes are too high" is not sufficient. You may appeal by either submitting a written appeal or by scheduling a face-to-face hearing.

The following may happen on appeal:
- The assessed value may be raised;
- It may be lowered
- It may remain the same

Any appeals that are not resolved by the Reassessment Office may be reviewed by the Board of Equalization.

The final appeal after the Board of Equalization would be to petition the City of Radford Circuit Court for judicial review. The Code of Virginia provides all property owners the opportunity to appeal an unfair reassessment through the Circuit Court system.

Show All Answers

1. Why have reassessments?
2. What should I expect from reassessment?
3. What is the reassessment process?
4. How will I know if someone has visited my property?
5. What is "Fair Market Value"?
6. How will the reassessment affect my taxes?
7. Why do I have to pay property taxes?
8. When will the results from the current assessment be available?
9. How can I tell if my reassessed value is fair and accurate?
10. What do I do if I disagree with the assessed value?